Business Address

Law Office of Randall A. Fischer P.A. At Stuart

2100 SE Ocean Blvd #203, Stuart,
Martin, Florida 34996
Phone: (772) 463-7737

Randall A. Fischer, P.A.

725 SE Port St Lucie Blvd #206, Port St. Lucie
St. Lucie, Florida 34984-5232
Phone: (772) 463-7738

Randall A. Fischer, P.A. Law Office At Jupiter

1080 East Indiantown Road #104
Jupiter, Florida 33477
Phone: (561) 316-7111

Twitter Feed

Ancillary Probate Case, Florida

Ancillary Probate Estate/Ancillary Administration


My mother recently passed in New York.  She lived in New York and had a Condo in Jensen Beach Florida or a winter home in Jupiter Florida or a second home in Port Saint Lucie Florida or some vacant land in Palm City Florida.  What do I do about the property in Florida?

This issue comes up frequently, whether the decedent is from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Michigan, Ohio, or Illinois.  Florida caters to the Snow Birds from Northeast to the Midwest.

Although the probate case may be filed in New York, the courts in New York do not have jurisdiction over property in Florida.  This situation is handled through an ancillary estate in Florida.  An ancillary estate is as the word implies.  It is filed primarily to support the primary case.  Other than requiring the transcript of the proceedings of the state of domicile, a Florida Ancillary probate is otherwise the same as a regular Florida probate would be.

A Florida Ancillary Probate may be conducted as a summary probate or a Formal probate depending on the facts. For a Formal probate a Personal Representative must be appointed for the Ancillary Probate and usually the Personal Representative of a Florida probate needs to be a close relative as defined by Florida probate law or a resident of Florida.

Your out of state Probate attorney should be familiar with the need to file the ancillary estate in Florida and to retain a local counsel in Florida to file the estate.  We handle ancillary estate cases in Martin County, Saint Lucie County, Palm Beach County and Indian River County.  Therefore, if the property is in Stuart FL, Jensen Beach FL, Port Saint Lucie FL, Palm City FL, Sewall’s Point FL, Jupiter FL, Hobe Sound FL, Tequesta FL, Palm Beach Gardens FL, West Palm Beach FL, Palm Beach FL or Vero Beach FL, then it would be a local case for our office.  If your case is elsewhere within Florida and we are unable to help you, please call and we can see if there is someone can handle your case locally.

If you need assistance in handling an ancillary estate in Martin County, Saint Lucie County, Indian River County or Palm Beach County, please give my office a call.

I appreciate you taking the time to stop by my website.  Thank you.

Service Type
Legal Service, Probate Lawyer to probate ancillary estate
Be Sociable, Share!